Thursday, March 1, 2007

Shortest route: Not always the Best route

"The people of Israel was accomplished at the exodus. Their identity was defined at Mount Sinai. Their preservation was guaranteed through the 40 years of wandering in the wilderness. They were a redeemed people (through the exodus), a commanded people (at Mt. Sinai), a blessed people (through the 40 years)." Ravi Zechariah quoted Eugene Peterson. I heard this during the early days of my depression a few years ago. How thankful I am to have heard this strangely good news.


Ravi said that the 40 years' journey was about 150 miles which by right would take them 2 months maximum. The longer route was meant to humble them and teach them that "man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord."

I confess I used to totally believe in going by the shortest route in the shortest time possible, though intellectually I would agree it is not always true. The obvious reason being that there's a lack of resources. A value that had been ingrained within me. How can one who does not know or forgets easily that there's a sovereign, all-powerful, all-loving God, live any differently from that value? The natural instinct in facing a lack is to fear and hence strive for self-preservation.

I have repented... somewhat but still have a long way to go. I still panic sometimes, fearing of being left behind, as the world continues to scare me with lies, "No time! Hurry up! Don't stop! Quick! Go for the next thing! It's all about productivity and efficiency! Time waits for no man! Else you'd be replaced! Else there'll be no future for you!"
Read more!

O how I need to be reminded more: The shortest route is not always the best route.

I've begun to know this truth personally through my wilderness journey in and out of depression. But it's still challenging. In preparing to go on a Israel tour, I borrowed books from a friend. I'm amazed to find in Facts about Israel, "They wandered for 40 years in the Sinai desert, where they were forged into a nation... The exodus... left an indelible imprint on the national memory of the Jewish people and became a universal symbol of liberty and freedom." Wow just like Ravi's quote from Eugene Peterson. Last picture: an oasis in Sinai desert.

My fleshly instinct says, "Give me a light that I may walk safely into the unknown."
But Truth says, "Put your hand in the hand of God and it shall be to you better than the light and safer than the known." May my heart find rest in this.