Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Friends of the Night

The following are some words that have anchored my heart in hope when I was overwhelmed in darkness. They have become my friends of the night.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do. ~ John Holt

We are prisoners of hope. ~ George MacDonald.

Live one day at a time. ~ not sure of the source.

It is not the cares of today, but the cares of tomorrow, that weigh a man down. ~ George MacDonald.

Never doubt in the darkness what God has shown you in the light. ~ Dr V Raymond Edman

Even should you be suffering for the rest of your life, it's not forever. Heaven is forever. ~ Jessie Suciati - my friend.

"But you, Israel [the new identity], My servant,
Jacob [the old identity] whom I have chosen,
Descendant of Abraham My friend,
You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth,
And called from its remotest parts
And said to you, 'You are My servant,
I have chosen you and not rejected you.
'Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'" ~ Isaiah 41:8-10

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures [rest],
He leads me beside quiet waters [peace], He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow [pursue] me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. ~ Psalms 23
[Somehow in walking through the valley of the shadow of death,
the psalmist has started referring to God as "You" and not "He."]